Advanced
Slate Roof House

Item Info

Item No: pdcc00363
Title: Slate Roof House
Historic Street Address: 2nd & Sansom Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

http://www.ushistory.org/tour/welcome-park.htm


Notes:

Photograph shows the Slate Roof House in a dilapidated condition shortly before it was torn down. The slate roof is clearly visible as is the flemish bond pattern of brickwork on the facade. A man and three boys pose in front of the shuttered window. Behind them a sign reads: Thos. R. Lee Dealer & Refiner of Gold  & Silver Removed to 113 South Second Street. Farther down, another sign reads:  W. Walker Removed to 265 S. 2nd St. The house next door has the number 137 painted on its facade. A sign affixed to the side of the house reads Gothic Street. This narrow street was  formerly known as Norris Alley and subsequently called Sansom Street. The side of the house is partially covered with advertising posters. A partial view of a building can be seen on the left edge.

In the foreground streetcar tracks are clearly visible on Second Street.


Creation Year: ca. 1867
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.947474
Geocode Longitude:-75.144283

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.5
Creator Name: F. Gutekunst, Photographers (Philadelphia, Pa.) - Photographer
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler