Item No: pdcc00339
Title: Randolph Mansion, where at one time resided Dr. Philip Syng Physick.
Historic Street Address:
7201 North Randolph Drive
Print and Picture Collection
View of the front facade of the Georgian style colonial mansion. It was built by Rebecca Rawle, widow of Francis Rawle, shortly before her marriage to Samuel Shoemaker in 1767, and originally named Laurel Hill. Two wings were added to the original house (the center section) in the early 1800s. In 1828 ownership passed to Dr. Philip Syng Physick, who was known as the "Father of American Surgery." When he died, in 1837, his daughter, Sally Randolph inherited the house and it became known as the Randolph Mansion. In 1869 the Fairmount Park Commision bought the house, and when it was restored for the Bicentennial in 1976, it was given its original name, Laurel Hill.
A917.481 P536 v.5
Shoemaker, Rebecca Warner Rawle, 1730-1819
Physick, Philip Syng, 1768-1837
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler