Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 6Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcl00066 [image dimensions 15.6 cm x 20.9 cm]:
"This old warehouse for salt and salt fish, also called a salthouse, was built in 1705, one of the first buildings to be erected on the Delaware waterfront. Its bricks and timbers were brought from England and were still sound when the building was taken down after 1900. The building housed a variety of businesses when the photograph was made around 1856. Besides William Neal, sailmaker, there were grain carters, public weighers and S. H. Levin, whose business in fish and provisions later became a firm of some size and importance. During the Revolution, a troop of British soldiers was quartered here."--OPEP, p. 36.
Corner view of brick commercial building. Signs identify several businesses: "S.H. & H Levin & Co."; "William Nell Sale Makers"; "Buchanan & Edmunds Public Weigher"; "F. Bonar Retailer of Wines & Liquors." One man leans against the street lamp at the corner, another stands at third floor window. Barrels lie on the sidewalk; horse-drawn wagons on street.
Building demolished: YES ca. 1900
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.142552
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.5
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer