Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 2

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 2

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02079
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.5, Old Houses 2, page 2
Historic Street Address: 7201 North Randolph Drive
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00339 [image dimensions 13.0 cm x 17.3 cm]:

http://www.colonialsense.com/Architecture/Houses/Fairmount_Park/Laurel_Hill_Mansion.php

View of the front facade of the Georgian style colonial mansion. It was built by Rebecca Rawle, widow of Francis Rawle, shortly before her marriage to Samuel Shoemaker in 1767, and originally named Laurel Hill. Two wings were added to the original house (the center section) in the early 1800s.  In 1828 ownership passed to Dr. Philip Syng Physick, who was known as the "Father of American Surgery." When he died, in 1837, his daughter, Sally Randolph inherited the house and it became known as the Randolph Mansion. In 1869 the Fairmount Park Commision bought the house, and when it was restored for the Bicentennial in 1976, it was given its original name, Laurel Hill.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.991324
Geocode Longitude:-75.194879

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.5
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Shoemaker, Rebecca Warner Rawle, 1730-1819
Shoemaker, Samuel
Physick, Philip Syng, 1768-1837
Randolph, Sally